“Fred Koeneman came to McBride in 1923 and took up a homestead west of town. He worked for logging outfits, mainly doing river drives, cutting wood and loading cedar poles. He also had traplines. Fred married Elizabeth in 1932. When their children reached school age, the Koenemans moved near McBride and built a home in 1938/39 along the Fraser River.
In the forties, Mr. Koeneman worked for the Public works department and BC Forest Service as watchman at the Teare Mountain fir lookout above McBride. Fred Koeneman passed away in 1979. The Regional District acquired the park land by family donation in 1981.” (Regional District of Fraser Fort George)
The log building in this park was the 1938 home built by the Koenemans and after the Regional District acquired the building, was available for community activities. Today the house has been closed in order to ensure its longevity and maintain the buildings integrity for as long as possible.
Photo: Fred Koeneman (left) with packhorse and boys. Valley Museum and Archives, Koeneman collection