The Pentecostal Church in McBride began in 1950 with a small building—12 x 30 feet (eighteen feet for the sanctuary and the remaining 12 feet for living quarters, with a curtain separating the two sides). The first Pentecostal minister was Melvin Bowering, and when Art Beagle came to help with the work, they shared the small living quarters. Art was a cook, and there were times that the aroma of cooking food while the service was in progress would cause those present to be restless as they thought more of the food than of the spiritual.
Some of the first families in the church were the Welwoods, Adrian Monroes Travers, Henry Koops’ and Gus Hinkelman. In 1951, a new church was built and the first service was held with the Reverend and Mrs. Kitts, missionaries from Kenya, presiding. The first little church was turned into a two room parsonage for Mr. Bowering and his new wife, Opal. The front of this building is the new church, and the back was a later addition for bible school classes.
In the mid 1980’s the congregation bought the old Rainbow Theatre for their church building, renaming it Mountain Chapel, and sold this building. Since then this building has primarily been a craft supply and gift store under various names and several owners.