In the fall of 1913, Reverend Frank Bushfield arrived to serve the area. The Methodists built the first church in the Valley. The church was constructed on 4th Ave. and Queen Street in1914, and for a time, had the distinction of being the only church between Prince George and Edson. Within a few years the building—now St Paul’s United Church (following the 1925 Union of the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational Churches), was moved to 3rd Ave. and King Street. A third move brought the building to its current location here on Dominion Street. It became St. Paul’s Church Hall when a new church building was constructed in 1967.
The All Saint’s Anglican Church, on 4th and King, completed only months after the Methodist Church, was the second church built in McBride. Anglican priests based in McBride would provide services from Red Pass to Willow River. In 1963, a greatly needed new building was constructed in Pan-a-bode (log) style in the same location.
With declining numbers, the United and Anglican Churches of McBride amalgamated in 1986. All Saint’s Anglican Church building was moved to Prince George (now Grace Anglican Church) and the “new” St. Paul’s United Church became home to the McBride Anglican United Church. The original Methodist Church, our church Hall, continues to be much used in 2017. It is the oldest surviving public building in McBride.
Photo: Valley Museum and Archives – 1999.01.04